Welcome...

Come meander with me on the pathless path of the Heart
in these anecdotal,
sometimes inspiring, sometimes personal meanderings of the Heart's opening in the every-day-ness of life...

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Domesticity - The Mundance - Part 2

"Inside this new love,
die.
Your way begins on the
other side.
Become the sky.
Take an axe to the
prison wall.
Escape.
Walk out like someone
suddenly born into color.
Do it now.
Your old life was a
frantic running
from silence."

~ Rumi


I have a friend with whom I used to share tea and talk with over a period of several months last year. We would discuss “spiritual stuff.” He has a wonderful art studio/sanctuary where we’d meet. He goes to his studio nearly every day to do art that is not for sale – just art for arts sake, read, sit in meditation for hours, talk with friends, or otherwise live his Heart’s desires, following the creative muse, and, in my mind anyway, the “spiritual life.” (Gee - I wonder what his wife does!? Keeps the home fires burning no doubt!) I raised the issue of the “Mundance” with him one time. He very nicely “invited” me to see that the mundane was just as “sacred” as what we determine to be the more “spiritual” activities. He assumed the role of a “teacher” and gave an example of when he stayed at an ashram and was required to scrub the floors of one of the buildings every day. He wanted a job in the “temple” itself – but was relegated to the more mundane areas and activities – for which he was rather bummed and irritated. (Isn’t that my point?!) He had to scrub the toilets and floors until he learned the lesson that the “mundane” activity is just as “sacred” as working in the temple. And then he was allowed a job in the temple. Hmmmm – sounds rather patriarchal to me, perpetuating old paradigms of efforting and working hard to *earn* the reward of “enlightenment” – domesticating the sacred fire that burns within. Isn’t this just more conditioning? And – doesn’t *he* get to retreat to his studio (temple) when life gets a little too mundane?! (I am not a feminist by any stretch of the imagination.):)

While I understand that everything is sacred, that there is no separation between the mundane and the “spiritual”, that only thought makes them separate and unequal, to me it feels deeper than just this division of the mind. It’s as if my Being is trying to free Itself from the confines and constraints that IT is experiencing – like a Divine Discontent. It’s like “I” am trying to break out of a “role”, an “identity”, the conditioning that constrains my Being, that has kept me dancing to a tune that I feel out of sync with – and soar to the Heart of Being. (I'm a "Mystic" remember...) I experience the mundane dance as a complete waste of life affirming energy. But once again that’s my mind - a mind-made story that I tell myself about how deadening domesticity is. I know, after awakening – chop wood, carry water… But somehow that doesn’t feed my Heart…

Men – in general – it seems, are able to follow a “spiritual path” more easily. (Or maybe this is just another delusion.) Jesus, Buddha, Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta come to mind. I have not studied the lives of these teachers so I may be mistaken here, but it seems they pretty much followed the “call” of their Heart, if you will. Jesus left his parents at age 12 to seek the wisdom of “God”, Buddha left his young wife and child to discover the Truth of Existence, Ramana left home at age 16 to live at the base of Mt. Arunachala to become “Enlightened.” Nisargadatta left his family for 5 years to study with a teacher (although he also worked to support his family during that time). These men devoted their lives to “enlightenment”, awakening, spirituality, “the path”, Self-realization, Truth, in whatever ways they could. I wonder what the modern day enlightened women do, like Gangaji, Neelam, Pamela Wilson, Mukti and many others. Do they spend their days in meditation – living monastically - writing words of wisdom, teaching others “Truth”? Do they do their own domestic duties, or do they have a cadre of people (other women?) surrounding them, willing to cook, clean and otherwise do the duties of the mundane… And does it really matter? – No… I realize this is *my* issue…

So it would seem a little time sitting with this is in order. Maybe it’s as simple as time management, discipline, shedding some bad habits, and an attitude adjustment. That’s probably part of it – and something I’ve started working on – bringing awareness to those areas. Asking: What is this *really*? And, what is needed here? But it feels much deeper than the surface solutions – as beneficial and practical as they are… But what’s underneath this?

It *feels* like the call of the Heart once again: the Self calling the Self to itSelf again and again *through* the veils of the mundane. It’s as if there’s an “entrainment” with a deeper dance that is needed here; a birthing into a new rhythm with life… Not shunning the mundane, not sacrificing my Self, but honoring the call of the Heart –the homing call; dancing the Rhythm of the true Self; *abiding* in the Heart of Being where everything is congruent…


May we all abide in the Song of the Heart -
intimately dancing “The Dance.”

~*~


7 comments:

  1. Sounds like the mundane is offering you a big opportunity for exploration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes - many avenues to explore here - on many levels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is hard to accept that the mundane is "it" the place were sacredness is to be found...and yet we have all experienced "it" from time to time...noticing the mysterious sparkle of dust motes while cleaning, wiping the chin of a beloved child or elder, slicing through the tender skin of a perfectly ripe tomato and viewing the jewel like flesh inside as we prepare a meal for our family...that does not take away from the drudgery aspect of the daily dance...but it helps us to love our lives a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MeANderi,
    Am almost finished reading this wonderfilled blog from top to bottom. Thank you! Candice O'Denver hits the nail on the head when she says..."Just this! Just this!...exactly as it is...is what you've been after all along." I've written a couple pages to you -- which I won't post here :^) -- but suffice it to say that I found myself, sitting here at work, clapping out loud to myself.
    Can't wait to scroll up a few inches to see the heart cracked wide open to the infinite Presence of all-encompassing Love. Don't run. Please stay put...being gently held in place by Being itself. (Am talking to myself!)
    Love,
    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Leslie!

    How nice of you to leave this exuberant comment!:) I just never know who it will resonate with or not, so I just keep writing from the Heart.. You can always email me through my profile page as well if you want to share more...

    As you can see from what you've read so far, this blog really expresses my "ups and downs" - the "ins and outs" and the insights along the way - my "expressions of Awareness."

    Although I have "awakened" to "Infinite Presence" - whatever that means :) LOL, I cannot say that I am "fully realized" - fully "awake." My heart has not "cracked wide open" as I seem to keep getting slammed with "just this." :) Which of course I realize are opportunities to open and see with clarity that it's all Awareness/Beingness expressing itself in form...

    So - how did you find me? :)

    Thanks again for your lovely comment!

    Heart Smiles ~*~ Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. the game of the mundance...for me it's also about can I allow the state of being, the perspective that I am infinitely possible of anything, the just because I say so, prefer so, I am creation, I am the I am, I am that powerful, can I respond that way while I am experiencing myself in this time, space reality illusion...it's waking up every day feeling oh maybe a reoccurring ache, or signs of aging/mortality, or an unpreferred physical manifestation, like the dog itching again, or an experience of myself feeling/thinking doubt or uncomfortableness, or a daily routine, a body function, all these to me are this mundance that gives me the RICH opportunity to awaken to who I know I am fully despite them, to dance in the mundane knowing the joy of the game of separation that we have created only to enjoy realizing it's the game we have created. There is so much RICH potential in that mundance, too.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are subject to moderation