Welcome...

Come meander with me on the pathless path of the Heart
in these anecdotal,
sometimes inspiring, sometimes personal meanderings of the Heart's opening in the every-day-ness of life...

Friday, July 30, 2010

What Music Are You Hearing?

You may think that I’ve just been bee-bopping to the music here since my last post on “hearing the music.” Ah – that would be nice wouldn’t it… However, I took a rather deep dive into a more somber space of feelings this past weekend. The upsurge of enthusiasm and “new direction” for life waned. I tried listening to different kinds of music, but nothing resonated. It was like putting on a band-aid – the feelings underneath were the same. The band-aid changed nothing.

I happened to read a blog that had a short video clip of Pema Chodron talking about “feelings”! In it she said that many times we “attempt to entertain ourselves out of the feeling” – but that “what we feel is a key to something” that needs to be seen. It occurred to me, when I heard that, that I was attempting to use music to try to fix my feelings, or cover them over; to hang on to the enthusiasm the music had instilled just a couple of days before… I was attempting to *feel* “better” – to *try* to create a shift – rather than allowing and acknowledging the feelings. So I stopped the music, and sat with the feelings. They were pleased to be heard. No longer sounding like heavy metal music screeching in my body-mind, they moved into a new rhythm.

As an on-line friend recently pointed out to me, feelings whether labeled “good” or “negative” are just currents of energy that carry a message, if we are willing to listen. I know this from experience. And sometimes, as with life, the only way out is through. So I went through what I was feeling – allowing them, meeting them, allowing myself to hear them. And what I discovered, basically, is that I have been swept up in the surface currents of life – the choppy waves of thought and emotions – responding and reacting to life circumstances – going from circumstance to circumstance putting out fires, so-to-speak. There was a sense, in sitting with all this surface commotion – aka feelings - that I needed to go deeper – to open myself more fully to the Life Current that flows through everything – including feelings. For months now I have been bobbing around on the surface of life, trying to keep my head above water, when what I really need is to open fully to the inner Current of Life – to swim in the “deeper” currents – to *hear* the inner music – The Rhythm. But it seems that life events pop me to the surface and carry me to a different tune than what I hear inside…

Life keeps requiring me to dance to the music of others it seems – through life circumstances that I have no control over. My sister called me Weds afternoon to tell me that my mother had been taken by ambulance to the Hospital ER in severe pain and shortness of breath. I immediately went to meet my sister there. The doctors could not determine exactly what was wrong, except they *thought* that she may have a perforated peptic ulcer that had somehow closed itself off – but they weren’t sure. It was a guessing game even with all the testing they did. Her pain subsided after she had some medication. She spent the night in the hospital for observation. We took her home the next day. Both my sister and I are dancing to this new music with my mother out of necessity. It appears that this particular tune is also part of the Flow of the Current… And yet – it feels so dissonant – like I’m hearing the “wrong” notes or dancing to somebody else’s tune… I wish I could say that I am resting in Awareness with it all, but it feels more like wave surfing 101. Sometimes I stay on the board and sometimes I wipe-out… Aware-ing may actually be a new skill I have yet to master – surfing the waves of life.

Last night was a sleepless night – after 2 days of choppy waters – and not feeling well myself physically. After only a few hours of restless “sleep”, I was up at 3am, went to my desk and just started listening to the silence of the night through the window. I became aware of the *depth* of stillness - a deep space of Silence – feeling the breeze. My mind and heart relaxed. I felt my-self drop down below the surface and hear the music from within, from the still space of pure Awareness – the beautiful Silence that sings. Dropping into the Silence inside - listening, feeling the music within - I could experience the Current without the choppy surface waves, without the distractions that come with living on the surface… It reminded me that maybe it matters what music we are listening to, what music we are hearing – the cacophony of the surface, or the deep melodious music of the inner Rhythm.

“I must find the song lines that run through my life,
the melodies that remind me of what I really am,
and call me gently back… I must learn to dance…”
Oriah Mountain Dreamer


Hanging 10 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~*~


Photo is of a poster we have.
I do not know the artist...


11 comments:

  1. I feel rest within your words...it is important what music we listen to...and don't you love Oriah? She can pull me back from the edge whenever I've a need for truly listening to the dance of life.
    Many Blessings to you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Akasa! I read Oriah several years ago and revisit her for inspiration :)
    Blessings to you too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much here in your post. I am familiar with that rush to fix, to feel better that you recognized in the "music listening". And I recognize this subtle pushing away of what we'd rather not have: discomfort of any kind, mothers that keep requiring our presence. I know how I used to resent this. And now when I see it in your mother, I recognize it as that descent that we will all pass through in some way.

    " I could experience the Current without the choppy surface waves, without the distractions that come with living on the surface…" And the wisdom here in these words. I remember my Zen teacher telling about one of her teachers, who said "Look out at the ocean, even if there are waves on the top, it is still deep below. Another phrase that your post pulled up for me was one that I believe came from the little book that came with a set of rune stones I have. It says something like this, "when in deep water, become a diver."

    And thinking about the element of water, so many dimensions.... cleansing, liquidity....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Zen :) ~

    Yeah, there are still remnants of resentment - but mostly it's the sense of feeling *responsible* for her; needing to take charge, to be vigilant, which requires so much of my energy. And I know is self-imposed. I know this is old conditioning, as well as old neuroses popping to the surface. It's all taking a toll on my health. I am shut down physically. Fortunately my sister is living with her now - although she too is having a difficult time with health after her accident and back surgery last March... Mostly I'm just worn out! We all are! No energy for resentment at this point...

    I'm learning to accept, allow and let go of it all, knowing this too shall pass (like the sand mandala :) Although it does feel like a descent, a passage of some kind - giving me lots of opportunities to dive deep into the stream of awareness... :)

    Thank you for the lovely imagery - it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Christine - such depth of self-honesty and courage in your writing. I am deeply moved. I know so well the issues you are dealing with - after a decade of caring for my (now gone) beloved parents. I think it is the sheer exhaustion that's hardest of all. It is unimaginable.
    Your wisdom is immense. I want to simply take your hand and sit in singing silence - not with or in pure Awareness, but AS that. Everything else ... can wait.
    With love and light -
    miriam louisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sweet Miriam Louisa!

    I'm so glad you came by to leave your loving message! Yes, I remember that you took care of your mother for quite some time... (I didn't realize it was both of your parents.)

    I would love to sit in singing silence with you! Well actually ~ we *can* do that even though miles of Ocean seemingly separate "us" in form ~ we are the stream of Awareness :)

    "Everything else...can wait." Oh how I need to remember this! Thank you!

    Lovebeams to you! Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. How SWEET is this?...Christine and Miriam Louisa in one post blog! I love this post Christine...allow the feelings. Okay. You said..."feelings whether labeled “good” or “negative” are just currents of energy that carry a message, if we are willing to listen. I know this from experience. And sometimes, as with life, the only way out is through." My usual response is to push discomfort (a mild term for purposes of posting:) away or apply some antidote. From experience I know that if looked at directly an alchemy, of sorts, can happen. Looking at a painful circumstance can reveal pure joy...HUH?!?!? Lately there have been so many feelings that I have felt :-O, unable to do this 'looking'. This choiceless looking -- what is utterly necessary -- does not feel accessible right at the moment. Maybe I'm afraid to look.
    XOXO
    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Leslie...

    It is definitely the "natural response" to push discomfort away and avoid looking! And looking at painful circumstances does not necessarily reveal or bring immediate "pure joy" (relief). That is what we'd like of course, but sometimes there are layers to the unwinding and we have to be open to how it reveals itself... It's really a matter of recognizing, allowing and bringing Awareness to the feelings and allowing them to show you what needs to be seen...

    I sometimes see the feelings as energy, not as overbearing entities that will harm me in some way. This takes the intensity out of looking directly at them, is less threatening. Or I see it as an orphaned child,taking its hand and asking it what it wants/needs, etc. Looking in this way brings a deep sense of compassion for what is there...

    Just seeing allows the feelings to unwind, soften, unravel, become more fluid - or - reveals a deeper layer. Like with anger. If I look at (or ask) what is behind the anger, it is often fear, and what is behind fear - maybe grief. And what is behind that - and so on. Just keep looking till it all unfolds...

    EVERYTHING IS ALLOWED :) So we are willing to look at it *as* Awareness would see it, not from the frightened ego :) With no rush to release. It lasts as long as it lasts and then *it* lets go... I have even asked: "How does Being/Awareness (this Beingness that we are) want to relate to this?

    I hope this was helpful... Although it may be more than you wanted! :)

    Lovebeams - :)Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for that lovely answer Christine...
    "EVERYTHING IS ALLOWED :) So we are willing to look at it *as* Awareness would see it, not from the frightened ego :) With no rush to release. It lasts as long as it lasts and then *it* lets go... I have even asked: "How does Being/Awareness (this Beingness that we are) want to relate to this?"
    My mind comes in with..."no rush to release?!?!" It REALLY wants that sudden awakening :) Not that slow release out of torment. Maybe that's what's hanging me up.
    XOXO
    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leslie - It's not "torment" (although it feels that way - I know :). It is being authentic and allowing what you feel to be OKAY... Allowing everything to be as it is... I know you know this :) You feel "tormented" because your mind tells you it shouldn't be this way. Your ego-mind just wants the goodies :) Don't listen to it. See it *as* Awareness sees it - lovingly. Peace to you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. XOXO...thank you Christine.
    -L.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are subject to moderation