Welcome...

Come meander with me on the pathless path of the Heart
in these anecdotal,
sometimes inspiring, sometimes personal meanderings of the Heart's opening in the every-day-ness of life...

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Dog Whisperer "Window"

Yesterday morning I looked out the window to see that one of the next door neighbor dogs was outside of her electric fence perimeter. She and her companion dog wear electric collars to keep them in their back yard - supposedly. But K’s was evidently not working. So she was sauntering through the neighbor’s garden – outside her limits – roaming around, enjoying her freedom.

I looked away from the window, thinking to myself - I did *not* see this - I don’t *want* to see this – because seeing this means I need to do something about this – this dog. (This has happened before – K getting out – me rescuing). I went to take my shower and got ready to do my errands. I opened the garage door and there was K – across the street in another neighbor’s front yard rummaging around – unbeknownst to the neighbor. Now I could have gone on my merry way, knowing that K would be roaming the neighborhood, getting into trouble, getting lost, or worse, getting hit by a car. But my heart would not let me do that. So I called to her and she immediately came. Now what. I brought her into the garage and closed the garage door. Now what. I got her water, and called her owner at work – got his voice mail- and waited – a half hour. After about 10 mins of waiting it dawned on me that our backyard was fenced in, so why not let her out there, as there was way too much stuff that she could get into in the garage that could harm her – plus now I couldn’t get out. So I led this hyperactive, panting, anxious dog through the house and out into the backyard, where she proceeded to get into everything that she could. We are not dog proofed here. I vigilantly watched her while waiting for a call-back from her owner, which never came. I called again and left another message – and waited another half hour – becoming more anxious about what to do with this dog. So I stayed out in the back yard with her. She loved the attention… The two dogs whimpered and cried to each other through our fence… My heart strings played their sad tune as well…

While waiting I thought – hey why not try connecting with the dog. I made eye contact with her and spoke softly to her – Being to Being. She responded. I became dog-whisperer. I stroked her while she panted and did her anxiety thing of pulling away and nervously circling the yard – running to me, running away from me. I finally got her to lay down on the patio while I rubbed her belly and laid my hands on her to hopefully help calm her. Once again she responded. And as I calmed her, I calmed too. I made eye contact with her over and over, telling her it would be ok, that she was ok – more for myself I think. We were both going to be okay. I was doggie bonding.

Not hearing back from the owner in an hour, thinking that K had settled enough, I left my husband in charge while I went off to do my errands. Kind of like leaving a husband in charge of a new born. He has no experience either and left her in her crib – the back yard. By the time I got back, a couple of hours later, the owner had retrieved his dog, apologizing profusely to my husband. (We’ve had a lot of dog problems with this guy.) It seems the “workers” at his house, helping with his remodel, had shut the electricity off so they could do the electrical work – and voila – K made her escape. Her companion had been so trained not to go beyond the electrical fence that he stayed. Hmm there must be something in that to see: What beliefs keep me in my pre-conditioned parameters – keep me from being free… hmmm… And am I willing to risk going beyond my self-imposed perimeters in order to be free… I need to look more deeply at this one!

I noticed other metaphors as well… Everything is a window, life is a window, an opening – inviting us look, to see, to experience, to join in the adventure of living and not shy away, no matter what the experience brings, or requires. But sometimes I do turn away from the window of experience, from the moment, from the seeing, because I don’t really want to participate, to pay attention to what is really needed to deeply attend to each situation, to respond to life as it is.

And the other metaphor? Well, how often do I make a Being to Being connection with others… How often do I look directly into the window of someone’s eyes and see the Being that is there – the Spaciousness… It’s easier with animals. They are so open, so willing to be met. Do I really meet others and *see* them… Do I actually *see* the Being that’s looking back. And do I allow myself to be met - Being to Being. Self seeing Self. Self whispering to Self: It’s all okay – all is well…

Everything is a window – a whisper to see, participate and respond…

~*~

There is a wonderful blog to check out called An Appropriate Response



14 comments:

  1. Have to admit, Dear Christine, that my heart sings every time I see a new post from you. Everyone a step closer.
    "What beliefs keep me in my pre-conditioned parameters – keep me from being free… hmmm… And am I willing to risk going beyond my self-imposed perimeters in order to be free…" Hmmm
    Fear of going in to extremely painful thoughtand situations keeps me from being free, I think. Somehwere there is conditioning that these thoughts need to be 'kept in abayance' -- even though I know that kind of micromanaging is more bondage.
    The other one...your beautiful invitation to imtimacy (that could only happen with meeting the above fears)-- "how often do I make a Being to Being connection with others." There has been a secret, for so long, that has kept me from feeling that I can connect in any deep and meaningful way.
    Time for some window sitting...
    XOXO
    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Leslie :)

    For me, meeting someone Being to Being is like the "stepping back into what's looking" meditation - stepping back into the Awareness that we are... Or as Maria has mentioned, when we "deeply attend" to another, the "me" with its fears and secrets dissolves... Having lived with anxiety all my life, my experience is that we don't have to meet the fears first. When I consciously "step back" into what is Seeing through these eyes,to what is Aware, it is 'That' that meets the other, no requirements or conditions are necessary for that to happen - for 'That' to see - for 'That' to be here - present... It's always intimately engaged... We just have to experience 'That' :) Maybe your *belief* that the secret keeps you from connecting is the parameter - the electric fence... Take the collar off and you won't get zapped :) I know, easier said than done!

    Much love - Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Christine for this beautiful answer. For the most part I've always felt a deep connection with 'others'. On occasion there has been the feeling of connecting at a deeper level than a body/mind...no doubt. Was thinking a bit more during the window last night about what comprised the separation. Story upon story as Mary McGovern says. The 'secret' thing, for the most part isn't the huge deal. A bigger, and probably stickier story, is that I feel left out. Left out of a 'system' in which to awaken as I witness the many, many successes. This isn't a feeling of jealousy...just of being left out and the fear of not reaching my goal. I think that's the real fence.
    Your weavings are Gold...thank you Christine.
    XOXO
    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good awareness Leslie! And good question too: What comprises the separation - the feeling left out, other than - the real fence, yes... Good window sitting inquiry! Deeply attend to those :) And in your fear stories of comparison and failure, keep remembering to come back to The Embrace that is always there,the stepping back into What is Looking type thing, and feel 'That' which is experiencing the fear. I do this all the time. It helps...

    Lovebeams through the window ~~~~ :) C

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a deeply nurturing share today Christine!
    For me I disconnected for several years...I had been the open book and did not know how to set boundaries so my backyard became the yard whereby everyone came to dump, so to speak. I got tired of being the city dump, even though I wanted to be of help? Does that make sense? Once I realized what I was doing the fences went up...but now I've no use for those much...of course we must keep some things away but looking through the Doggie Window is a great analogy for me to look at life situations and know that as I am 'Aware' the Beloved will bring to me what is needed most for me to truly 'see.' I rest in that. I am the Divine embracing myself in this, and every other expression of myself.

    I am so glad you are here to write and share with all of us...you are an inspiration to me!

    Peace, My Sister/Friend!

    P.S. I love the unconditional love that pours out of animals...to us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Akasa... I am humbled...

    None of us needs to be taken advantage of or exploited... Just because we "awaken" to the Truth of who we are doesn't mean we don't set boundaries. I'm not going to let a Bear in my house, or a robber. :) On the Absolute level boundaries dissolve, but we function in a world where boundaries are necessary. At least that's my experience. Robert Frost, my favorite New England poet said, "good fences make good neighbors." I may "love" the Essence/Being-Self of my neighbors, but I don't want them having a party in my back yard :) We don't *allow* ourselves to become the dumping ground for the unconsciousness or blindness of others, who don't take responsibility for their own lives. Being "awake" is not the same as co-dependence. :) In fact, even the *idea* of "helping" changes when we begin to see the Truth...

    Yes, we ARE the Divine Embracing Itself in every expression! And the Divine knows how to meet every situation with an appropriate response...and sometimes the answer is "no" :) - a compassionate no, of course....

    Humbly - with gratitude for your Presence - Love,Christine...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely act of kindness, generosity and many other things. How easy it is for us to turn our eyes when it seems inconvenient to deal with what we've seen. In my mind this is a turning away from "self as the centre of the universe" to make all others as important as we are.

    And how lovely to make this into an opportunity to connect with this being. I'm sure she appreciated it more than you could know. And how wonderful to turn away from the stories that we tell ourselves, about the neighbour, and the dog, and the importance of our errands and on and on.

    A deliciously heart warming yet simple tale!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you ZDS for your perspective on this - another flashlight shining the light of awareness in a way that I hadn't quite seen as you describe it :) In all honesty it just felt like the appropriate thing to do for the situation. My heart wouldn't let me do otherwise... And yet, I know there was still choice... And I got to do my errands as well :)

    Heart & House warming hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's my feeling that every opportunity to "help" arises as an opportunity to help ourselves, as well, and thus the Whole.

    Love,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely Maria - yes... I see this, and experienced this with the dog... Everyone benefits. Love back :) C

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Christine,
    You wrote "What comprises the separation - the feeling left out, other than - the real fence, yes... Good window sitting inquiry! Deeply attend to those :)"
    I am not sure how to attend to those. There were some stories that I don't know how to see through other than in absence. And am unsure that I would be able to see that while staying here.
    The stillness you wrote about in today's beautiful post was felt this morning. What a haven of relief.
    XOXO
    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Leslie ~

    Well, you could do as the traditional non-dualists say and just "rest in Awareness." And/or you can bring your awareness to the thought and feeling that you are "left out" and see what that has to offer you. You can ask the feeling/thought: what do you really want? What do you really need? What are you trying to show me? This is "attending" or "mindfulness." (Maria also speaks of this in her post "Ankle Deep.")

    When one "attends" something it is not dismissed as "just an appearance", or just a "story" - it is fully accepted from the place of "absence" - ie: the space of Emptiness/Awareness/Stillness - not from the place of a "me" trying to figure it out in the mind of "how" to deal with it, but just awareing it from the place of Spacious Awareness. Every *thing* is seen, acknowledged, and allowed in this space. And in the acceptance of it, it *may* dissolve, or it may not. "You" (as Awareness) accepts that it is just there, attend to it - ie: give it your attention, until *it* is ready to let go - not efforting to "see through it."

    Just keep coming back to the space of Stillness/Awareness within and just be there - just seeing what's there, just feeling it. From this space it can also be seen that these thoughts and feelings are non-issues, because you realize that "you" abide in and *as* this space of Stillness/Awareness ItSelf, where everything is a non-issue, and does not prevent "awakening." What "you" are experiencing is not *separate from* Awareness ItSelf - from that which is Awake in you *already.* They are just thoughts and feelings. You can allow yourself to feel them. You can allow yourself to just be there with them, until they dissolve back into Awareness ItSelf, in their own time.

    Now if I could just remember this for myself when issues arise! It actually helps me to write this! Thanks! :) Love, C

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Dear Christine -- and Maria -- for these amazing posts. "not efforting to "see through it." -- Lord knows that's like sinking myself in quiksand.
    Thanks again Christine for this clear explanation.
    XOXO
    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, beautiful quicksand :) as in "resting in Awareness" - losing your "self" in it...

    ReplyDelete

All comments are subject to moderation