Welcome...

Come meander with me on the pathless path of the Heart
in these anecdotal,
sometimes inspiring, sometimes personal meanderings of the Heart's opening in the every-day-ness of life...

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Accepting the Storyline

This past week, being with my mother as she recovers from her eye surgery at home, has been an interesting experience in “no resistance”, being in the present moment, and acceptance. The outcome of her surgery did not go as she expected, as she can’t see well out of that eye. However, it’s evidently not that unusual in diabetics. She is required to have eye drops every two hours, but she is unable to give them to herself, as she can’t see the bottle and how close it is to her eye. This requires my presence 12+ hours a day to give eye drops. This is also an unexpected outcome for me.

Being present here, in this experience, I have seen more cooking shows than I ever realized existed! There is no opportunity here to slip off by myself. It’s a total emersion in a foreign land, where there is constant TV and talking, talking, talking about TV, and listening to criticism of the people on TV, and tales of my father’s old war stories. I am not used to so much stimulation 12+ hours a day. I do not stay overnight as she doesn’t require eye drops during the night. Thankfully.

I am in dire need of quiet, silence and space!

Even as I sat trying to handwrite this blog post a couple of days ag0 - in the living room, with TV on - my mother was trying to hold a conversation with me! Until the phone rang, after which she resumed talking to me…

It took me 3 days for the internal resistance to this particular present life experience to subside. I am present, but there has been internal resistance to what is being asked of me, of where life is going at the moment – this particular storyline in the fabric of Reality. And surrender is not necessarily volitional, I discovered. It just happens out of necessity – when it is realized that there is no other way.

In one brief moment on one of the programs on TV I saw Pema Chodron being interviewed on a local news station. I perked up. At just that moment the phone rang and most of what Pema was saying was drowned out by my mother’s – talking. Timing… But from what I gathered Pema was saying something about not creating stories about what was happening in our life. And the interviewer commented: Even if the storyline is true, because sometimes the storyline is true. Pema agreed. Sometimes the storyline *is* true… When I heard that, some of my resistance around this situation relaxed. I think on this path we get so concerned about whether we’re creating “stories” that we often can’t accept that sometimes the storyline is true! What is happening is happening. It is life being lived. So I’m trying not to create “story” by resisting the storyline that is happening here. And I have found that the “storyline” is often the vehicle for awareness to emerge – if we are aware and open to it.

And what has emerged in this present storyline, is that I feel very little sense of the presence of Awareness! You know – the Stillness of Awareness that just is. Oh I know it’s always there under all this – like the back-light behind the silhouetted clouds at twilight - but I can’t *feel* it, and I miss the *connection* - the felt sense of Presence in this particular situation. I miss having time to be quiet during the day and just resting in the place of Stillness, where I *feel* the connection. I am so over-stimulated during the day, and physically drained from little sleep, that even in the silent 25 minute ride home, I still can’t *feel* this larger sense of Presence… The world has gone numb…

And an awareness has emerged that there seems to be a difference between being in the present moment, and being present to the moment from Presence, or Awareness. I feel the difference. “I” can be present *to* the present moment, participating, engaging – at the surface of life – living life as it is. But the deeper sense of *relating* from Presence is missing.

I miss this sense of personal intimacy with this felt Presence. Just like any other relationship that you cultivate, it seems this primary relationship with Presence needs just as much attention as anything else. What we put our attention on flourishes. That’s why I meditate. That’s why I enjoy the space of Silence – to just listen. And for some reason this week I am being asked to completely surrender this to life as it is… The white flag of surrender has not been raised. However, there is a growing sense of acceptance to the way things are at the moment – acceptance of the storyline that is playing itself out here – without creating “story” through resistance – holding myself open to this particular weave of the storyline.

~*~


16 comments:

  1. Nice post. Glad to see you back! I notice this too about the mind, always trying to fill itself with some little story about something. So easy to follow it along on it's little dramas. I am finding more and more that I can give up the stories a little more quickly and I hear you doing this too.

    When I read your comments about awareness it reminded me a little of my painting session yesterday. Frustration! because things weren't going along smoothly, hours spent with nothing to show for it. I am attached to outcomes! I could see that this morning. I don't like it when I work and work and nothing that pleases me emerges from the mess of paint and bits of paper.

    And that's it for me, some days something lovely comes out and some days it's just a jumbled mess. Ah, as you mention acceptance of what is; the ups and downs of awareness, painting, daily life. Our little minds would surely conjure up another problem even if things turned out just as we liked every time! And that would be boring. Always adversity offers us what we need, an opportunity to go deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine,
    What a great post....thank you!
    "What is happening is happening. It is life being lived. So I’m trying not to create “story” by resisting the storyline that is happening here. And I have found that the “storyline” is often the vehicle for awareness to emerge – if we are aware and open to it."
    AND it seems we're surrounded on all sides :) Trapped...confounded...forced to empty...
    XOXO
    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi(again) Christine,
    Another question arises as I read this post again..."I miss this sense of personal intimacy with this felt Presence. Just like any other relationship that you cultivate, it seems this primary relationship with Presence needs just as much attention as anything else. What we put our attention on flourishes. That’s why I meditate. That’s why I enjoy the space of Silence – to just listen."
    I miss -- most of the time -- this intimacy. Sometimes it feels hard to find that place of refuge...that place of Silence and Intimacy...when there has been a drastic cutting off, historic and present. I am unsure how to directly see through that and would welcome any advice to see through this painful off-again, on-again separation.
    XOXO
    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post Christine and I relate to so much of what you say. I also often feel overly bombarded with stimulation. As I type this there is all kinds of noise and people milling in and out of the room. Our handicapped son makes loud vocalizations for hours every day and night, though he can't say words. I could go on and on about the noise and stimulation and interruptions etc. There is a longing for silence, it attracts me like a lover. Yet I love my chaotic family and chaotic job and all the richness of life's experiences. And it's interesting to watch the mind make up stories, and get hooked into the stories and feel agitated, and then to wake up from the stories. Wow- life is amazing.

    I also saw that great news show about Pema Chodron! It was excellent- on the ABC 6 pm news on Sunday night. I bet someone will put it up on You Tube.

    Thanks for the stunning photo and for sharing your mystic meanderings Christine, I feel uplifted to sense our parallel journeys. I also enjoyed the comments by Leslie and by zendotstudio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello ZenDS :)

    Well I'm not exactly "back"... I still go to my mother's everyday for 12 hours or so. Tomorrow an appointment with the eye doctor. And then we'll know how long this eye drop regimen will go on. Hopefully not long. We're both getting on each other's nerves! :)

    I love your comment that "adversity offers us what we need, the opportunity to go deeper." Right now it's difficult getting there - finding that space beyond the spirit numbing experience. Although I had a lovely drive home tonight in silence! :)

    Was also glad to hear that you are finding such tranquility in your experience of living at the moment - such resonance with life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Leslie ~

    Yes, that is my experience at the moment: "trapped, confounded" and maybe not quite emptied out yet :)

    I really don't have any advice for this "on again - off again" experience of Presence. The only thing that arises is what others have said - that there really is no separation, which we both know, but which we often experience. I think this goes to the mind as well... The mind plays tricks on us and distracts us from the Real. The mind loves these little life dramas to wrap itself around. The trick is not to *believe* what our minds tell us, which of course is through constantly bringing our attention/awareness back to the place of Awareness/Presence. In the teachings that I have read it is a process of returning to this space over and over again. Easier said than done... I'm not doing so well in that department this week :)

    But in my drive home tonight the sky was absolutely magical. Everything was so still, and the clouds just hung in the sky like silhouettes. It reminded me of the state of just Being. Clouds just BE... :) Magical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Colleen ~

    Ah,yes, it seems we both feel the effects of "stimulation" - the longing for silence. There are so many variables in the experiences of living. I am used to a quieter life and so being thrust into having to be present for my family (and the dynamics of my family) in this way (my sister for 6 weeks in March/April and now my mother) tends to have a detrimental effect on my body and psyche - as if the fabric of Reality has been torn in some way - at least "my" reality. LOL!

    But as Zendotstudio said: adversity gives us the opportunity to go deeper...

    Glad you enjoyed the post. I wish I had had my camera with me on my way home tonight. The silvery sky with its shadow-like clouds was spectacular!

    I'm not fully back reading everybody's posts yet, but I noticed you had an interesting video offering, which I'm about to check out...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christine (and Colleen:)~
    Thanks for both of your comments...they always, softly, go to the heart of the matter.
    "But in my drive home tonight the sky was absolutely magical." Just read someplace...maybe Pamela Wilson...that "Beauty is a magnet to Being" ...or something like that. So true. Beauty definitely usurps the mind.
    XOXO
    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Beauty is a magnet to the moment..." - these are wise words from Colleen. Loosing track of where I am in the Blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Leslie, and thanks. I love your comment that "Beauty usurps the mind." Now that's one usurpation that it wonderful...beauty uprooting the mind from its tangle of misery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, enjoyed this post and so appreciated your transparency. I am glad you are noticing the subtle differences in awareness and Presence and being present - so many levels of that. What I most appreciate is your passion for living the truth of who you know yourself to be in this moment... and that is a wonderful thing. (Isn't it amazing how Pema Chodron can bring us to the heart of the matter...?) Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jan ~ Thanks for your nice comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Christine...

    Your honesty is so wonderful! I'm glad you're hanging in there. :)

    I've had the experience of listening to my mother criticize and judge some situation (I can't even remember what!)so loudly and thoroughly that all kinds of negative feelings and resistance flooded my being. I wanted to argue; I was sick of hearing it; I wished to be anywhere but there...but something shifted, and suddenly she was Reality, bitching and moaning and complaining. The words went right through, and I watched in total fascination, suddenly seeing her (and myself) AS mySelf, very clearly. I was the one speaking, I was the one listening! The resistance just melted.

    That intimacy--it's always there, so close and personal that we overlook it, thinking it is something else, unwilling to accept that it lies also in the shallow and the obvious. It is only as far away as we push it, and even that distance doesn't exist! :)

    Big hugs,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Maria! :)

    The shift in perception hasn't quite happened here... I don't see quite as clearly as you do. Yet, I am beginning to see through the storyline that keeps my stories in place :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a perfect sharing, Christine. Thank you. I can't remember if it was on ZendotStudio or a Tricycle blog post where I read about something being true but not right. That goes along with something being true but not a fact. Like the sky which looks blue to our eyes but is actually all the colours except blue - which is not absorbed into sky-ness. :0)

    Mothers have a way of getting under our skins probably because we were so long under theirs. LOL! I too find after a time with mine I need to flush out my sensory-bloated brain cells. All this has taught me that love has many layers and textures. Yours is so very generous. Thank you for caring for her in the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Genju! "love has many layers and textures" - for sure! I'm not always so "generous". One does what one needs to do - one foot in front of the other sometimes... :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are subject to moderation