Welcome...

Come meander with me on the pathless path of the Heart
in these anecdotal,
sometimes inspiring, sometimes personal meanderings of the Heart's opening in the every-day-ness of life...

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Resistance

This is my mind on resistance – cluttered. I know all who are therapists, or those who have had therapy, will have a hey day with this picture. It is my “work” space, where “creativity” is supposed to happen – and does. And yet, the space has become crowded over with the clutter of resistance. I am even resistant to de-cluttering it… And no, the rest of my house does not look like this – thankfully. Oh it has its little piles of things here and there that need to be put away – like clean laundry on the love seat – instead of love - and dirty laundry on the bedroom floor. We won’t go into those metaphors. :) And piles of books waiting to be read, or papers of interesting information downloaded off the internet stacked – waiting to inform me. The rest of the house is fairly sane looking. Especially my meditation space – the clearest place in the house! It’s only this particular space that is rather insane at the moment. (Well, except the basement, but that’s my husband’s domain.) Everyone has their space where they stuff their clutter it seems. And yes, the outer does reflect the inner. :) There is a part of me that is deeply cluttered, resistant and “insane” – ie: lacking clarity, wisdom and peace. And all that is bubbling to the surface this week – kind of like the oil in the Gulf – thick and gooey and not easily cleaned up - ugh. I haven’t seen these dark spaces within in quite a while. So it appears I’ll be bringing the light of awareness into the depths for a look see. But I already feel myself resisting that too…

It seems my awareness the other night about “no resistance” has become a portal into – resistance. Into seeing just how resistant I am. This week there have been several revelations in this area. And my “space” seems to be where it gets dumped, where I can deal with it later. Heh,heh, heh. Except, as it appears, it never really gets dealt with.

So what is this resistance…

There are several things I am resisting this week. My mother’s upcoming eye surgery next Weds for one. I’m dreading it, already feeling “responsible.” It is a day surgery in an office building “surgery center”! No more overnight hospital stays. She’s 82 and a diabetic. I’m already feeling resistant to having to take responsibility for her care right after surgery, which includes staying overnight at her house – which means little sleep (which will impact my own health issues.) I don’t mean this to sound uncompassionate. It’s not. It has more to do with my own fears of being “responsible” for others – which comes from being given responsibility way too soon in life. And the conditioning that if I was *responsible* I got approval and kudos from my parents. I was a latch-key kid before the word became popular – taking care of my 2 younger siblings at the age of 11. Even now I think, oh my god, so much could have gone wrong! I was thinking that back then, believe me. I was always thinking of what could go wrong and that I wouldn’t be *responsible* enough to know what to do. I became a little parent – and fear became my companion. I learned to try to control what I felt out of control with – which was most of life at that time! (And of course some things never change :)) Eleven! What was my mother thinking! And so resistance emerges now… What if something goes wrong – I’ll be re-spons-ible… clutter, clutter, clutter…

There’s another resistance that arose this week. As many of my regular readers know there has been some serious family drama with my husband’s family. Well, my husband decided, in the spirit of Aikido, after consulting with a couple of lawyers, that he didn’t want to resist what was happening (in a legal way). He wanted to try to reconnect with his sister, and meet her “half way” in New Mexico somewhere… My immediate reaction was resistance! Oh you better be careful. Are you sure you want to open that door again? Well *I’m* not opening that door! What if it doesn’t go well… yada, yada, yada. And of course he decided to meet her on Weds of next week. So there was the resistance that said – You’re not going to be here to support me! What about me! What if I need you! Oh dear – 11 years old again. I’m totally responsible and there’s no one here to support me! :) You get the idea… clutter, clutter, clutter…

So – what *is* this resistance…

Well, the first layer for me is fear. That seems quite evident as I write this. Fear of risks, uncertainty, fear for my safety, fear of being taken advantage of, fear of vulnerability, fear of the dreaded “r” word – no not resistance - Responsibility… :) Fear is the fuel that feeds resistance. I see this now…

So I get to practice “no resistance” big time this week – and this is just the first layer, the first plume of thick, muddy oil spewing out of the well within… As I mentioned in the previous post, just *saying* “no resistance” softly to myself brings me back to the awareness of that clear, clean space inside; to the present moment; to seeing that from this space of inner Presence I can pierce through all the mental clutter that’s built up, and *begin* to swath a path through the thickness to the light of clarity again – to sanity… The first level of environmental clean up has begun! I just need to remember to return to this clear, clean space of Awareness by whispering – “no resistance.” Of course, resistance still rises – that plume is still spewing its contents - but I can meet the resistance, the fear, with no resistance… Maybe. :) I’ll let you know how it goes…


~*~


5 comments:

  1. Hi Christine,

    I love this post, and the photo of your work space, you are so delightfully candid that it is a joy to read your words. What a great connection/metaphor of the oil spill and all the avoided/repressed stuff within us that needs to come up where it can be seen and released, or "not resisted." Resistance was the repressive force that pushed all the emotional clutter into hiding, and it's healthy for all that to be undone or "un-resisted" (here the metaphor with the oil spill doesn't quite jive- as that spill is detrimental rather than healing- but it's still a great connection to see these wonderful parallels between inner and outer reality).

    I also like how you weave all the spiritual insights into the actual brass tacks of daily living- with your mother's upcoming eye surgery, your husband's family's drama, your memories from childhood, the condition of the house, etc. Spiritual understanding comes alive when it is part of real-life experiences.

    I love that soft whisper of "no resistance" as a gentle way to remember to release fear. I am also going to use this pointer to help move through the various challenges that arise in my day.

    I also have clutter in my work space. Clutter does seem like avoidance and "constipated" energy- at least that is what the clutter in my home feels like. There are some areas that are refreshingly clutter-free, like a little sun room overlooking the waterfall my husband built in the backyard, and other areas are heaped with papers and books. Resistance "incarnate", in a way. But I seem to have even greater resistance to "Colleen the one who clutters"- i.e. I have a lot of resistance to the "me" in my head, the imperfect ego who fails to be perfect and who is judged harshly. I am trying not to resist my "failures" and imperfections so much, but to have some spacious, non-resistance even towards the resistance of clutter and imperfection and fear, etc.

    Thanks for your heartfelt and enjoyable sharing Christine, and good luck with all the upcoming challenges in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine...
    "I can meet the resistance, the fear, with no resistance… Maybe. :)"...hopefully I can be courageous enough to allow everything to be just as it is. :O
    Thank you for this timely post Chrisine.
    XOXO
    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Colleen ~

    Yes, the *spewing* out of our unconscious, repressed and emotional material, in unconscious ways, is not necessarily "healing." It is not necessarily healthy to release our stuff into the environment, as it often creates environmental damage to others around us. It requires some "environmental" clean up - the light of conscious awareness in order to *see* what is *causing* the spill to begin with. And if we don't look at it, and meet it, it *will* spew out underneath the surface, polluting everything.

    You said: "I have a lot of resistance to the 'me.'" We struggle and resist when we see "ego/me" as "other" - something to be opposed, or gotten rid of. The "me" is not separate from the Self - the Essence of who we Are. It is a reflection of that Self, or as I like to say - the self is the faceplate of Being-Self, interfacing with life. (I know - semantics :)

    A famous analogy is the one of the wave. A wave is really none other than the Ocean itself - in essence. The Ocean doesn't try to get rid of or resist the wave, doesn't see the wave as separate from ItSelf - as an "enemy." The Ocean, in a sense, "allows" the wave to move in the way it moves - in fact, the wave is just a natural movement of the Ocean. And the wave could not be a wave except for the movement of the Ocean that propels it along. Everything, and that includes "ego/me", is a reflection of, or movement of the Self/Ocean. The Ocean doesn't mind that it has become a wave and does not try to prevent that. It's all the natural flow and fluidity of the Ocean/Self, expressing itSelf *as* "me." It's all the face of the Self - being what it is.

    So the awareness it seems is to see what we *identify* with. Do we identify with the wave as separate from who we really ARE - the Self - causing problems, etc. Or do we identify with the the Ocean Self - the Essence of who we ARE... Where do we bring our attention/awareness? So "remembering the whisper of 'no resistance'" is really a reminder to remember the Essence of who we ARE - the Ocean of Awareness - that clear, clean space of Being-Self...

    Thanks for your in depth comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leslie ~

    Yes, allowing everything to be as it is... Thank you for the reminder :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point- the "me" is not the bad guy- it's part of the ocean of oneness, so no need to resist... Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are subject to moderation