Welcome...

Come meander with me on the pathless path of the Heart
in these anecdotal,
sometimes inspiring, sometimes personal meanderings of the Heart's opening in the every-day-ness of life...

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Opening to Beauty - Rod MacIver


Of the challenges of life
Which are many, which we all have
Those inevitable just by virtue
Of being alive
And those that are self-imposed
Unnecessary but no less real
One of the most important
But easiest to avoid
Is seeing beauty.

It's a practice, like Buddhism or Yoga
Except that you are focused outwardly.
There are days I've walked through a field of wildflowers
Through forests of huge hemlock trees
Barely noticing, absorbed by some problem or other
Some painting not going well
Some piece of writing not coming together.

When I open my heart to beauty
Submerge myself in it
Turn my thought processes over to beauty
I get immediate perspective
On all the other things going on in my life
Which are truly important,
And which are trivial, meaningless, pointless.

Living in the woods
Surrounded by nature all day long
In a multitude of forms: sounds,smells, sights
You can come to accept beauty as normal
Take beauty for granted
It doesn't complain.

Beauty offers itself to us
Without price
Other than the price of paying attention
Focus, open heart, time.


Rod MacIver
Artist and Writer
Heron Dance Art Studio

~

Photo - Mystic Meandering




 

2 comments:

  1. Giving nature our fullest attention can feel like a brush with eternal wonder. I like the mysteriousness this man conveys with his art. It is very compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your words: "brush with eternal wonder." :) Yes, he certainly has a unique and mysterious style of artistic expression.

      Delete

All comments are subject to moderation