Welcome...

Come meander with me on the pathless path of the Heart
in these anecdotal,
sometimes inspiring, sometimes personal meanderings of the Heart's opening in the every-day-ness of life...

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Love Waiting"

I’ve been wanting a dog for a few months now. The thought of getting a dog excites me for some reason. After our cat, affectionately nicknamed “Yodi Bodhi,” died last August after 18+ years I said I was not going to have another animal. It was too much responsibility, demanding a lot of time and energy in the last 8 years of his life, and tied us down in many ways. But – here we are 8 months later and I’m swooning for a dog. There can never be another cat like “Yoda”, so it must be a dog – but not just any dog.

And then I read a blogpost over at 108zenbooks that did me in. Briefly, it was about a dog named Hachiko who, after his owner died while at work, went to the train station every day for *9 years* to wait for his “owner”/life companion to come home! (Until he himself died on the steps!) Genju describes this as “love waiting!” OMG. My Heart started quaking open. Actually my Heart has been experiencing a lot of little quakes lately. I’ll call them pre-shocks, as if warning me of the big quake to come. And I can feel it, the big quake is coming. This intuiting of the big Heart Quake is causing an anxious quiver to run throughout my body. I want to run even before it has actually happened. And I can barely sit with it long enough to get in touch with it before wanting to get up and eat or watch TV or whatever else I can *consume* to numb this deep quaking of the Heart. Even writing about it is creating the RUN response!

I know that having a dog will quake my Heart and crack it open – full quake. I know it will. And yet I want it. Am I ready for that!?

So what is it that I *really* want? What is it that a dog represents for me? I think the phrase “love waiting” says it all… I want “love waiting” - that unconditional, tail wagging, love response that only dogs can give. I’ve tried with humans but it doesn’t seem to work out too well – humans tend to bite. :) And I’ve been known to send a few darts to the heart as well… But can I call a dog “love waiting?” How about “Buddha” – the *Essence* of “Love Waiting…” – or Being-Self, or Divine Mother, or Spirit, or Awareness, or…. You get the idea…

A dog doesn’t care about our baggage; doesn’t feel a need to argue or wrangle over words like “self” – "me" -“non-duality”, or the meaning of “Truth”, or “existence.” A dog *is* in many ways a reflection of “True Nature:” loving, accepting, open-hearted - just Be-ing Presence in the way that only dogs know how to do – “love waiting.” Sorry I just love that phrase.

I ask myself, so why is the thought of all this causing all this heart-quaking, this quiver in my being? What am I trying to avoid? What do I not want to see?

I have a sneaking suspicion it’s “Love Waiting” – but I’ll have to let you know after “The Quake…”

~*~

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a joyful opening, this inclination to open your heart and life to a new fur friend. And with that unconditional love that animals extend us is the bitter sweetness that all meetings end in parting of some sort: the sukkha with the dukkha, inseparable really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Somewhere out there, a sweet dog is waiting for you to find her/him. Lucky dog! May you find each other and fall in love over and over again. What is it about cats and dogs that crack us wide open???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Zen... Yes, it feels joyful to know my heart will crack open once again with a new "fur friend" - that I'm actually opening the door to that possibility! Definitely rumblings under ground there. And the mysterious ebb and flow of living - openings and closings with the way life mysteriously moves on. It will be several months I think - depending on what "life" has in mind of course. I want to do some research on "rescue dogs."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Meg! Didn't expect to see you here on my "doggie" post! Glad you came by for a visit!

    Yeah, wouldn't it be great if my next little friend showed up on my doorstep - not too romantic. Kind of like those sappy animal flicks :) What can I say...

    It will be a few months, as I seem to be under construction here, or is that deconstruction. So I want to wait for "timing" - right dog, right time - and "prepare" for the Quake that this will cause - if one can prepare for such a cracking open! ha! control in disguise!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are subject to moderation